Sunday, August 23, 2009

Two in Three


The title represents Two Shows in Three Days. Much like my initial post on this blog where I saw two concerts a few days apart last November, earlier this month it happened again. I have not been to a music show since November when I saw Yes so I was long overdue.

On Friday, 8/7/09 I drove to Asbury Park, NJ to see a band that in my opinion is one of the best, if not the best band in the past 20 years, Dream Theater. OK, I know if you are ready this you are probably saying, "Who?" or "I never heard of them". If that is the case, well... now you have heard of them and I suggest you check them out.


(the tour bus front window)

Start here with a live performance of the first song I ever heard from them in '92, Pull Me Under. Then there is this instrumental called Erotomania. Or try a drum solo by Mike Portnoy, one of my top 5 favorite drummers ever.
I love their style, talent and their ability to take me on a journey via any CD of theirs that I own.

(Convention Hall/Paramount Theater)

(Convention Hall Marquee)

The show was "Progressive Nation 2009", the venue Convention Hall at Asbury Park, a new venue for me and a pretty cool spot to see a show. Although the acoustics were not optimal the sound improved as the night went on.

There were three opening acts, two of which I had not heard of. The first was Scale the Summit from Houston, TX. They were young and talented guys whose (strictly instrumental) style reminded me a bit of Eric Johnson meets King Crimson, I liked it.

The second band was called Big Elf from Los Angeles. They brought me back to my youth, LOL, reminding me a bit of Deep Purple with a heavy edge leaning towards Black Sabbath. Their singer/keyboardist would likely be the product of Ian Gillian and Jon Lord having a son. He had a powerful voice and rocked the keyboards center stage.

Next on was Zappa Plays Zappa. Yup, Dweezil Zappa and company doing a lot of Frank's stuff, they played about 70 minutes or so. A lot of talent on stage and lots of solos.


(Dream Theater, full stage shot)

Finally Dream Theater took they stage, for those who don't know, they are from Long Island, NY. I was in awe as the curtain fell and they opened with the first two tracks from their new release, A Nightmare to Remember & A Rite of Passage from "Black Clouds & Silver Linings"... incredible! I think they were 40 minutes into the show before they finished their fourth song. This band is not a #1 single, pop-hit machine... if you can't stay with a song, they may not be for you. But, if you love talented musicians playin' their asses off for your enjoyment, buy a ticket next time they are around... you will not regret it!

(the 3 shots below were take with my little camera thru my binoculars, LOL) (John Petrucci)


(John Myung and Jordan Rudess)


(Mike Portnoy)

The next day I did a sound job for a local band that I used to play with, Good Time Charlie... and well, it was a good time :)

Then, on Sunday 8/9/09, my girl and I drove out to Hershey, PA to see CREED. Yes, CREED. They are back, original members and a new CD on the way in October I believe. I won tickets for this show from WZZO just a few days earlier so we worked it into an already busy weekend.

I had seen CREED back in '02 at Hershey Stadium, when they were pretty much on top of the world. They had put on a great show and I enjoyed them then. This time they played the smaller, Hershey Star Pavilion, the second or third show on their tour and it was a full house. There were two opening bands, we missed the first one and the second one did not leave a lasting impression.

CREED played many of their hits you would expect and they sounded really good. They added a second guitarist although I cannot find him on their website. Early on, Scott Stapp noticeably struggled with one song, Say I, aside from that he handled the set pretty well. Overall they sounded pretty good and the stage show was great, lights, fire, video... it was on! They played one song, Overcome, from the forthcoming CD "Full Circle" - the link is to video footage from the Hershey show.

It was a very long and very musical weekend. I may not get to see shows too often anymore, but if I can keep seeing two in a week when I do... well, i can live with that!

No comments: